Friday 16 October 2015

Recommendation on what to do with your dog

Here are some advises that I would like to share with you, what I wish I knew from the beginning when I had my dog. What I have realised and learnt with my dog who lived for 14 years and was ill for the last 4 months of his life. 

It is not something pleasant to be thinking about. They have a very short life span, depending on the breed, about 7 to 15 years, some may live above 15 but that is rare. 


1. Get to know the breed of your dog, there are some things that comes naturally with breed. 

And there are certain inherited disorder that you need to be aware off, so you can be careful while you have them, in order to prolong their life and make it easier on yourself while caring for them.

For example with my Labrador, they are breed to retrieve in the water. He was lucky that he didn't have a genetic hip issue, but as most large dogs, he had issues with the hip joint at the end. He was walking around till the last few weeks. 




2. Take lots of photos and lots of video of he or she doing anything, anything at all. You don't get to see it again and it is never enough.

It maybe the simplest thing, something they just do all day long. I miss the moments that he waits for my permission to enter my bedroom but I don't have a photo of that. And he does this purring thing like a cat when he wants what you're having, I don't have a video of that. Yes, general things in life, you experienced it and you will have the memories, but I would really just like to see it again. 



3. Get to know them.

I know this sounds silly, but there are a lot of people that doesn't know the pet. For example does he or she have separation anxiety? What do they do when you are away at work for eight hours? What is their favorite food? What do they want out of you, is it attention, play, food or exploring? They are a little bit like humans, have their own personality and are all different.

In general, Dong doesn't really want all that much attention, but he's interested in playing and food. So if I get him over for a belly rub, he probably only stays for a few minutes before he wanders off. But if we play games, like hide and seek, fetch, and tug-of-war, it can go on for hours. If it's food related games it will never end until I run out of food. 


(What do you mean by I can't have that? But I been waiting! )

4. Play with them and take them out for walks.  

The sole purpose of their existence in your life is to enjoy each others' company. Don't take it for granted.



5. Understand that they are pack animal and needs you to be the leader. 

A friend of mine has the little Chihuahua, he is simply neurotic and likes to bark and bite at random. She doesn't do any discipline because she thinks that is being mean to the dog, but in reality the dog is doing it because it is anxious and uncertain, that is why he is behaving that way. If you can help someone stop being anxious and uncertain by taking some actions and calming them would you still feel bad about it?

What I found that help me a lot is from Cesar Millan's video, here is a link to his website.
https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-psychology/five-laws/pack

6. Training is essential, dogs shouldn't be caged animals (sectioned off in part of your house or chained)

There is really no need for that, they can be trained. It will take some time, some may need to go to puppy school, but to keep them in your life it is an investment that you should do. The dog training school normally takes 1-2 months, it depends on the dog, some doesn't even need it, as they may be low energy and submissive. It is definitely worth doing to able to enjoy the next 10 years together. The more they get to see you and more exercises, the calmer they will be.

(Dong roaming free on the old couch.)


Dong behaves the rules even when I am not around. He used to get on the sofa because my parents allow him, the sofa got worn by him. My parents are hesitant to get a new sofa, as they think the new one will be worm out by him again shortly. When I got home, I told them not to worry about it, we went out and got a new sofa. 

I stopped him as soon as he has the behaviour of sniffing the new sofa or coming close towards it. Dong understood straight away, not to get on the sofa, but as a spoiled brat he still have those attempts. Took less than a week to stop those attempts, he was never on the new sofa.

7. Plan your holidays with them. 

It may be a bit difficult, there are only so many places that you can take them with you. But I can assure you that it will be absolutely worthwhile and the trip will become memorable because of them. 


(Finally here, where are we? I don't care, I just want to get off the car to start exploring now!)

8. Simply do more of all the above.

You will be glad that you did. So would them!

(I'm so happy!)







No comments:

Post a Comment